Subscribe to Zinmag Tribune
Subscribe to Zinmag Tribune
Subscribe to Zinmag Tribune by mail

Tuesday, July 22, 2003

Maybe you have to be a parent...

...to understand this article in today's Times about changing summer camps. Now some camps are allowing weekends home, liberal use of phone and email, et cetera. Kate and I don't have kids, but its seems incredibly neurotic--and missing the point of the camp entirely--to send your kid to camp, then have him/her schlep home every weekend. The only reason to spend eight weeks in a log cabin with a bunch of strangers is, I suppose, to prove to yourself that you can do something other than live as you normally do, and eventually learn to like it. Making the world into a Nerf-lined room is ridiculous and doomed. And I'll thank you not to quote this email back to me when we have kids, okay?



There's also a funny profile of Amy Sedaris' West Village apartment. From what I can tell, she lives about four blocks from my old place, down from the cutest candy store sign. Anyway, if somebody could die from benign craziness, I'd be very concerned.

No comments:

Post a Comment